It is recommended that every homeowner should have their dryer ventilation system cleaned at least once a year to prevent excessive buildup of lint and other debris. This is to prevent increased cases of fire breakouts in homes and residential buildings that are mostly caused by clogged dryer vents. Fortunately, with the use of the right dryer vent cleaning equipment and tools, such unfortunate situations can be prevented. For homeowners that use their dryer two or more times a week on a regular basis, the dryer ventilation system should be cleaned more frequently.
In addition to having professionals do the job as they have the right dryer vent cleaning equipment, there are some ways that can help reduce the amount of buildup of debris within dryer ventilation systems. Here are some tips that can help reduce the amount of buildup:
- Reduce the amount of liquid fabric conditioner and the number of dryer sheets used when washing and drying. This can help avoid clogging of the lint filter and accumulation of flammable chemicals or oils in the dryer.
- Try to have elongated time intervals in between drying cycles per load of laundry so that there is enough air circulation in the dryer, which can also reduce lint buildup.
- In addition to the use of professional dryer vent cleaning equipment and products, it is optional to occasionally use a vacuum cleaner to remove the debris on the outside opening of dryer vent.
- It is helpful to use a specially designed ventilation cap outside the vent opening which can help prevent small animals and birds from nesting, while also restricting lint and debris build up.
- Whenever possible, hang larger items of clothing, heavy beddings, pillows, and other big pieces of fabric outside to air dry.
- Make sure your pockets are empty of any wrappers or coins when doing laundry as these items could get sucked into the vent.